XO Sauce is a seafood sauce originated in Hong Kong. Lots of famous restaurants have their own secret recipes but the basic contents are dried scollops, shrimp, fish, shallots, garlic and chilly. It is great on noodles, stir-fries or anything you’d like to spice up. Few people have the time to make their own XO sauce these days, but just like everything else homemade, it tastes so much better that way. The most popular store-bought OX sauce is made by Lee Kum Kee.
Tossed noodles is easy and also healthy that it comes onto our table whenever I’m too lazy to cook or not feeling like a big meal. This is just an example of how I like it. You can open the fridge, cut up whatever is sitting in there, make a stir-fry, or not, and mix everything together with a bit of seasoning – XO sauce in this case. Homemade noodles are of course the best for it, but anything works.
XO Sauce Tossed Noodles (serves 2)
- 250g Noodles
- 100g Pork – cut into shreds
- a few Shiitake Mushrooms – cut into shreds
- 2 Green Chillies – core if you don’t like it spicy, cut into shreds
- 2 small Cucumber – cut into shreds
- 2 Eggs – beaten
- 1tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2tbsp XO Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Put mushrooms in a hot pan (no oil) and stir until cooked, then push to the side of the pan. Cooking it this way brings out a lot more aroma than sauteing in oil.
- Drizzle some oil in the cleared space and put in pork, quickly brown then mix with mushrooms, add green chilly and season with soy sauce. Set aside.
- Pour egg in a lightly greased nonstick pan(1 egg at a time for a 9inch pan). Gently tilt the pan so egg covers the whole bottom, to make a thin pancake. Heat until egg turns solid and gently bubbles, take out and cut into shreds.
- Boil water in a pot and cook noodles, drain when done and toss with sesame oil to prevent sticking. If sesame oil is too strong for you olive oil can be used. One way to give the noodles a better texture is to give it a quick rinse in cold water then drain (before oiling).
- Serve noodles in plates, stack on the finished stir-fry, shredded eggs and cucumber, add 1tbsp of XO sauce to each plate and serve (or toss everything together then serve).
- Toss and enjoy!
- 250g 麵條
- 100g 豬肉 － 切絲
- 幾朵 冬菇 － 切絲
- 2個 青椒 － 切絲
- 2個 小黃瓜 － 切絲
- 2個 蛋
- 1湯匙 － 麻油
- 2湯匙 － XO醬
- 熱鍋裡不要加油乾炒冬菇到熟 － 這樣菇的香味更濃郁，推倒鍋的一邊。